My dog, Sammy, has had the same doggie bowls since the day we brought him home nearly 6 years ago. Time for an upgrade just in time for Christmas. I found these square bowls at Home Goods a few weeks ago and thought they’d be perfect for Sammy’s new bowls. Obviously the bowls needed some sharpie accents. Here’s what you’ll need to make these sharpie dog bowls:
- Ceramic Bowl(s)
- Sharpie (color of your choice)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cotton Balls or Tissue
I found some fonts online and decided to just freehand it. It just seemed like too much work to trace or figure out how to transfer a copied font. I basically started with the middle letter in the center then moved outwards towards each side. So that method’s not fool proof…
I didn’t worry too much about making it super perfect. After I got the basic shape of the letters down, I thickened up the lettering with a sharpie to fix all the imperfections and crooked parts.
Next up, the water bowl. I repeated the same process again. This time with the word “thirsty”.
Only 1 fail later, success!
Really, I just wanted the letters to be centered. Low bar. I repeated the same process by thickening up the lettering and fixing up the imperfections.
To clean up all my screw ups, I put some rubbing alcohol on a tissue and wiped off all the fails. It came off super easy.
Next, I popped the dishes into the oven, turned it up to 450°F, and let it bake 30 minutes after the oven was done preheating. After 30 minutes of baking, I turned off the oven and let the bowls cool off inside.
I pulled the bowls out of the oven and wiped them down with a wet paper towel to make sure there was no burnt Sharpie residue in them. Tah dah! New doggie bowls for Sammy. He LOVES them. Look at that face!
The little dog is a craft project the neighbor’s kids made for him. Looks just like him!
I haven’t experimented much with washi tape before this and I’m not sure why I hadn’t before. My friend is a teacher who had this ugly grey file cabinet in her classroom and was looking to jazz it up a bit. Spray paint was out of the question (mostly because there is NO way the two of us could move that thing). We went to Michael’s and found a tube of multi-patterned washi tape that was bought with a 50% off coupon. Personally, I wouldn’t buy the stuff at full price. That stuff is pricey.
We started with a pretty standard office file cabinet in grey that we wiped down with some paper towels to remove any dirt, dust, and grime.
We popped open the tube of washi tape and sorted the rolls into colors for each of the drawers.
We started by taping off a border around the entire file cabinet. Washi tape is SO easy to work with. Its less sticky than regular masking tape, but still adheres to smooth surfaces very easily. It tears like or easier than masking tape to make the application process even easier.
There was a lock in the center that we adjusted for by tearing small pieces out of the tape. Since it tears so easily, we didn’t need any scissors for this.
Next, we started applying a pattern to each of the drawers. We went with a diagonal plaid-ish pattern for two of the drawers and a square boxy pattern for the other two. We used strips of tape slightly longer and wrapped the edges around the sides of the drawers. Again, no scissors necessary.
Note: We also taped right over the drawer handle groove. This was to ensure the continuity of the pattern for the entire drawer rather than ripping it off and trying to continue the straight edge.
After applying all of the tape pattern, we needed to make the drawer handles accessible again. We cut through the tape across the entire space. This was the only time we used scissors.
We took the excess tape and tucked it into the empty space.
Three drawers later, we were done!
I used to see these decorative round balls made of various materials at Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel and could not believe people would pay SO much money for balls of straw/yarn. Here’s my own DIY version of these decorative yarn balls that I’ve been able to customize to whatever color I want. Here’s what you’ll need:
I started by blowing up a few balloons to the size I wanted. Try not to make them too big because they start to get distorted into that oblong balloon shape instead of a nice round ball. I did try to make them in varying sizes so there would be some variation when I put them into a bowl.
Next, I poured about 3 Tbsp of Elmer’s glue into a bowl and mixed in a splash (around 2 tsp) of hot water to dilute the glue. I mixed the water and the hot water around with a coffee stirrer.
I took the yarn and pulled about 15 feet of yarn at a time into the bowl and soaked all of it in the glue mixture by pushing it down into the liquid. I made sure to leave the end out so I could find it. Looks kinda like ramen noodles in a bowl.
I took the end and started wrapping it around the balloon. I wrapped it so that the end tucked under the second wrap and would hold in place.
I kept wrapping like I would wrap a ball of yarn, making sure that the wraps crossed. In total I ended up wrapping about 25 -30 feet of yarn around each balloon. The ball will requires enough yarn to hold together as a ball after the balloon is removed, but not so much that the yarn strings look too dense.
Once I was done wrapping, I cut the yarn with scissors and tucked the end underneath another strand.
Next, I hung the balloon up using the clip of a pant hanger. I hung the hanger on a pulled out kitchen drawer to keep the balls from touching anything and left it to dry overnight.
In the morning, I got up for the best part. To pop the balloon with a pin.
The balloon completely shrank and pulled away from the yarn. Don’t freak out if some strands of yarn collapse. You can just pull them back into shape.
I pulled out the deflated balloon and was left with an awesome yarn ball!